Travels from Baltimore, Maryland
I help employers and managers maximize the potential of their workforce.
Things I can’t live without: Meaningful Work, my family…. and pizza
My favorite piece of advice: There is only one thing that is always in your control – your attitude.
Describe yourself in one word: Fun
One thing you would like to check off your bucket list? I would love to run across America
Things I love: Family, work (no, really!), culture, running
As a seasoned entrepreneur and student of business, David Shar has amassed years of invaluable experience, knowledge, and firsthand awareness of the intricate challenges of leadership. During his successful tenure as employer and manager in the challenging restaurant and retail industries, David realized that he possesses an innate ability to recognize, utilize, and maximize the latent potential in every employee.
David’s achievements in team-building and employee retention gained national attention. He created an environment of passion, of engagement, of security, and began to counsel other business owners and managers in the art and science of performance management.
David currently works with organizations of all sizes as the Founder, Consultant and Keynote Speaker with Illuminate PMC.
David specializes in helping organizations improve their leadership and culture.
David holds his Bachelors in Human Resource Management from Colorado State University and his Masters in Industrial / Organizational Psychology from the University of Maryland – College Park.
He is a current Doctoral Student in Business Psychology at The Chicago School of Professional Psychology where he is studying the effects of Corporate Volunteering initiatives on perceived Meaningfulness at work.
David Shar - Consultant, Coach and Speaker
Building a Kinder Workplace
How to be a Positive Influence on your Workplace Culture, from Any Seat on the Bus.
In this 45 – 90 minute workshop, David Shar will use the power of story along with the latest in Industrial / Organizational Psychology research to explore tactics and benefits of creating a culture of kindness. Shar will have his audience rethinking how they view workplace conflict, empathy, and the incredible power each individual has to impact the world around them. Shar and his audience will explore actionable steps toward creating a kinder workplace.
At the conclusion of this Keynote, attendees will…
1. Understand how every individual has the power to impact their environment.
2. Learn to stop compromising & start collaborating – Learn how to win as a team.
3. Understand the Baader-Meinhof Effect and how to retrain their brain to focus on the positive.
4. Understand the power of empathy and how to use it.
Unleashing the Full Potential of Your Employees
How to Attract, Motivate & Retain the Best Talent
Is your staff burning out, experiencing high turnover, or under-performing? Maybe you just want to take your business to the next level. Your greatest competitive advantage lays within the abilities and motivation of your employees. In this workshop, Shar, an I/O Psychology Consultant, will identify the five most valuable motivators at work today, and how to successfully implement that knowledge in your business. Shar’s unique combination of humor, real-world stories, and scientifically backed data will leave you with the tools and the motivation to unleash the potential of your people.
At the conclusion of this Keynote, attendees will…
1. Be able to Identify the top 5 motivators at work today.
2. Develop a total rewards package to attract, motivate & retain the best employees for their organization.
3. Understand the difference between work/life balance and work/life integration.
4. Learn to reconnect with their “Why”, and effectively communicate vision and purpose with their teams.
5. Understand the true meaning of employee engagement and how to attain it.
The Science Behind Selection – Using Psychological Principals to Build a More Effective & Diverse Team
We all known the exorbitant cost of turnover to our businesses. That cost has increased exponentially in the current labor market, as it has become increasingly difficult to find great talent. In this seminar we will learn how to strengthen our selection process while increasing diversity, through the utilization of some of the latest research in I/O Psychology. We will discuss the validity of various selection methods and we will debunk common myths and misconceptions about the selection process.
At the end of this seminar, participants will…
1. Understand the advantages and disadvantages to many common selection methods.
2. Understand the challenges associated with unstructured interviews and why this method can often hinder diversity efforts within an organization.
3. Understand the limitations of common personality assessments and be familiar with alternatives with greater validity.
4. Understand Face-Validity and the impact it can have on applicants.
5. Understand Adverse Impact and how to build a selection process that promotes diversity.
6. Understand why cognitive ability assessments have traditionally led to higher adverse impact and what HR can do to overcome this barrier.
7. Understand the nature of surface level & deep level diversity and how diversity, coupled with inclusion, can positively impact their organization.